The Chronicle of Tewkesbury records that the first Christian worship was brought to the area by Theoc, a missionary from Northumbria, who built his cell in the mid-7th century near where the Severn and Avon rivers join together.
The present abbey was found in 1092 but the building of the church didn't start until 1102 using Caen stone imported from Normandy. In the High Middle Ages, Tewkesbury became one of the richest abbeys of England.

Tewkesbury Abbey
Gloucestershire England