Winchester Cathedral was founded in 642 on a site immediately to the north of the present one in Hampshire England. Construction on a new cathedral was begun in 1079 using stone from the Isle of Wight. The new building was consecrated in 1093 and the old cathedral was demolished.
It is one of the largest cathedrals in England, with the longest nave and greatest overall length of any Gothic cathedral in Europe.
Several royal funerals, coronations, and marriage have been held here.