Knaresborough Castle in North Yorkshire was first built by a Norman baron about 1100 on a cliff above the River Nidd.
The castle was taken by the Parliamentarian troops in 1644 during the Civil War, and largely destroyed in 1648 not as the result of warfare, but because of an order from Parliament to dismantle all Royalist castles. Many of the town's buildings which were built later were built of "castle stone".

Knaresborough Castle, North Yorkshire, England