Charles Edwart Stuart, grandson of James II (known as "The Young Pretender by the English and as "Bonny Prince Charlie" by the Scots, tried to regain the throne of his ancestors in 1745. Bonny Prince Charlie and a large following marched to England from Scotland to overthrow King George. Many of them died cruel and horrible deaths at the hand of England in that attempt.
To end the uprising, King George pardoned the Scots with the understanding the Scots would immigrate to the North Carolina colony in America and take an oath of allegiance to the Crown. The Scots, who agreed, were given land grants in the North Carolina Colony. These people who were of the Presbyterian faith (started by John Calvin, a French theologian, and John Knox, a Scottish theologian) migrated from the Isle of Sky off the Northwest coast of Scotland.
The Scots came in through the port of Cape Fear and moved inland to present-day counties of Ancon, Cumberland, Harnett, Moore, Montgomery, Richmond, and Scotland located near or on the present-day state line of North and South Carolina. For many years they maintained a distinct identity associated with speech, dress, personal habits, homes, and places of worship, where were peculiar to their taste.
These Scot immigrants built a Presbyterian church on the county line of Montgomery and Richmond County North Carolina. The church site is in Richmond County. The church was named Mount Carmel Presbyterian Church in 1771. Mount Carmel Presbyterian Church is the mother church of Pea River Presbyterian Church in Barbour County Alabama.
There were two waves of immigrants , one wave before 1832 and the second wave after 1833. Some North Carolina families would send family members ahead to search for and buy or to apply for a land grant for suitable land. Then they would either send for the family, or they would go back and move the family to the area.
According to the minutes of Mount Carmel Presbyterian Church and her sister church, Harmony Presbyterian Church in Richmond Co NC, many members removed to Alabama in the 1820s and 1830s. Families who moved were Currie, McDonald, McRae, McInnis, McLean, and McKinnon. Source: "Pea River Presbyterian Church" by compiled by Mary Powers William and published in 2014.
Very little is known about the origin of our Casey family. Micajah Casey first appears in this area of NC in 1768 when he received a land grant. Jeremiah M Casey, our ancestor, first appears in NC records on a tax list in 1779. No relationship between the two Caseys has been identified. They lived in the same area of NC as the Scottish immigrants.
Two of Jeremiah's sons, James and Lemuel, moved to Barbour Co AL, in 1832 according to the tombstone of Lemuel Casey, son of James, and settled in the same area as the Scottish immigrants but they do not appear in the records of the Pea River Presbyterian Church. The journey from NC to Barbour Co took three months and it rained 21 days without stopping.
According to Casey family legend, one of the early Casey settlers committed suicide after his wife died leaving him with small children.
The book on the Pea River Presbyterian Church says that a young Casey man killed himself after his mother refused to prepare a fancy dinner for him and his new bride on their wedding day.
My research shows that Miles Casey, son of James and grandson of Jeremiah Casey, received a land grant in 1836 directly across the road from the Pea River Presbyterian Church. He does not appear in the 1833 or 1840 census records but in 1842, his three orphans chose their grandfather James Casey as their guardian. For more details, see the records of Miles Casey.